Thursday, 4 April 2013

Masters 2013 Predictions


Masters 2013 predictions

It’s that time of year again when any golfing fan has their eyes glued to the TV screen watching the lush green fairways and undulating greens of Augusta National.  Yes! It’s time for the Masters once again.  Personally this is my favourite Major, I can’t tell you why because to be honest I don’t really know; as a Brit it should probably be the Open but there is something about the Masters that makes it extra special for me.  Here are my six predictions, in no particular order, of who I think has shown promise in the weeks leading up to this and who might have an addition to their wardrobe come Sunday.

Woods.  Much as I hate to say it, based on current form it would be perfectly understandable if all I wrote about was Tiger but golf isn’t like that.  While his form and history at Augusta should all point to him, golf has a way of throwing a curve ball sometimes, especially at the year’s first Major.  He is outright bookies favourite at 15/2 but we have yet to see him in his recent form at a Major and I’m still a little dubious that his nerves will hold out.

Schwartzel.  A previous winner of the elusive green jacket, and expected to add more majors to his tally.  Very calm attitude and solid all round game.  He found some form at the end of last year, and when he gets going on the greens he is virtually unstoppable as we saw in 2011 with his 4 birdie finish.

Oosthuizen.  Came so close last year and already with Major winning experience.  Got a golf swing to die for as well as a rock solid putting stroke, he’s my favourite to go one better than he did last year.

Rose.  Some people might argue that he doesn’t putt well enough but he’s the only Brit in with a chance in my opinion.  Been in very good form in the last 18 months and deserves a Major I think.

Snedeker.  Looked to be the best golfer on the planet earlier this year before injury hampered his progress.  He has had good finishes there in the past and will undoubtedly putt well on Augusta’s quick greens.

Adam Scott. Another player whose putting can let him down but he can be a little bit streaky too.  If his golf swing his firing on all cylinders then watch out, he’ll be just tapping in for birdies anyway.  Will be interesting to see whether last year’s Open haunts him though.

Obviously with the Tour seemingly so open these days there are a few obvious names that i have neglected, the big one being McIlroy of course.  As good a player as McIlroy is I don’t think even he can suddenly switch it on for a Major and his form has been shocking of late.  Other British hopefuls like Poulter, Donald and Westwood all have chances but they will need a good week.   As I’ve been saying all along, if Poulter could harness his Ryder Cup form then he would be virtually unbeatable anywhere.  Donald has the short game and the accuracy but something about him doesn’t suit my eye to win at Augusta, I think he will win a Major but my guess would be US Open for him when accuracy plays a bigger part than length.  As for Westwood I think he missed his chance in 2010, not really found any decent form so far this year and his short game is still a little ropey.  Despite his age I would never discount Mickelson round Augusta but the odds are against him at 42 years old.   

As a real outside punt, I’m going to pick Zach Johnson purely because two people have said they will buy me a pint if he wins so that can’t be bad really.
FF

  

 

      

 

No comments:

Post a Comment