While many would argue that the biggest story of the Abu
Dhabi championship was the early exit of McIlroy (fresh from his multimillion dollar
deal with Nike) and Woods, I believe that last week was the week of comebacks
on both sides of the pond. Jamie
Donaldson came back from 2 shots to beat Justin Rose by 1 shot despite a bogey
on the final hole in the Abu Dhabi Championship. However, career comebacks were also plentiful
this week in Abu Dhabi, namely David Howell and Michael Campbell, who both
posted top finishes. However it is plain
to see the re-entering the winners circle is easier said than done. Howell played well all week and for a time
took the lead on the final day after a flawless opening ten holes of 5 under
but an ugly 4 putt from around 5 feet saw him slip into a tie for 6th. A few months ago i asked the question “whatever
happened to Michael Campbell?” That was
when he had lead going into the final round of the Hong Kong Open and had slumped
to a final round of 2 over but to be honest I expected that to be a flash in
the pan for the 2005 U.S Open Champion.
On the contrary he has regularly finished high up on subsequent leader
boards and long may this continue for both Howell and Campbell. I shall watch with interest over the coming
weeks because I’m sure a win is just around the corner for these once fine
players.
Similar circumstances occurred in the Humana Challenge on
the PGA Tour. This is one of my least
favourite events on Tour; I am not a fan of how easy it is set up although I
understand that this is for the benefit of the amateur players and I think the
altruistic nature of the event is amiable but I simply prefer Professionals to
be challenged. On the other hand I enjoy
the cut after three days rather than the usual two. Scott Stallings seemed like he was going to
walk it, leading by 5 going into the final day and bidding to be the first man
since Super Mex to go bogey free for 72 holes.
However several players had other ideas.
One that caught my eye was Stewart Cink, playing in the final group and
looking for his first top 5 finish since winning The Open Championship in
2009!! His career also appears to be on
a comeback much like afore mentioned European Tour Players. However, within the Tournament itself, Stallings
lead was quickly lessened by a myriad of low scores including three 62s! Unheralded David Lingmerth was one of those
players who shot 62 to post -25, Brian Gay shot 63 to match that score having
three putted the last for par and finally Charles Howell III finished on -25. This left Stallings needing a birdie 4 down the
last to clinch it by one shot, only to hook his 6 iron into the pond (a fate
that was then repeated by Lingmerth in the playoff) and miss his 9 footer to
join the playoff. Brian Gay eventually
triumphed over Howell III with a birdie on the second playoff hole to claim his
4th PGA Tour victory.
This was an eventful week in the golfing world and I am
always interested in what various events can potentially show us about the upcoming
season. This week has undoubtedly showed me that players of a certain calibre
are never really past it and it would not surprise me if we see a few more long
forgotten faces claim an event or at least post some solid finishes. This week has also confirmed the point I made
after the first PGA tour event in Hawaii; that there is so much strength in
depth on both tours that unheard of names and rookies and all manner of “journey
men” Pros will make appearances this year, whether it be in the winner’s circle
or just establishing themselves as someone to watch this season.
No comments:
Post a Comment