Saturday, 15 December 2012

Congratulations Tom Watson! But what about Woods?


Congratulations to Tom Watson, the oldest man ever to Captain the US Ryder Cup Team.  He will be 65 when the US attempt to claim back the Ryder Cup against Europe in 2014 in Gleneagles and claim their first victory on European soil since Watson captained the side in 1993.  Watson has said how he hopes he can produce the best out of 14 time major Champion Tiger Woods whose Ryder Cup record is perhaps not what we would expect from a player of his quality.  However, I think Tiger will be much more focused on claiming a 15th Major having gone Majorless for 4 seasons now.  In a previous blog I have explained why I think it will be difficult to reclaim his dominance of this sport but if he is, it will be by concentrating on Majors and not Glengeales.  I think Tiger's poor Ryder Cup record is an indication that he is just simply not a team player, we all know that this a very individual sport but with many players the chance to compete for their continent instills such a team atmosphere during the biennial event and they all tend to feed off each other.  With Woods, he struggles to find any momentum and doesn't build on the atmosphere of the event  or the crowds with quite the same effectiveness that other players do.  This was especially evident in the European camp in September who attribute their amazing comeback to the spirit of Seve, something that I don't think Woods would quite be able to take full advantage of.  While I am skeptical about Woods' ability to perform in the Ryder Cup one thing that I am sure of is that Woods is going to be one to watch in 2013, after 3 victories in his comeback year in 2012 he will be itching to add to his Major tally.  I think 2013 is going to be a fantastic year for watching Pro golf; so much talent, great events and unless the likes of Woods or McIlroy really make a charge, its gonna be anybodies year!   
FF

No comments:

Post a Comment